Lodge is looking for skilled players to fill following projects slots in our guild:

PvE Raid Core - we successfully filled existing gaps within our Core and are recruiting to complement it with additional "reserves". We looking forward to 2x DDs, 1x Healer, 1x Tank. Read more here for requirements and follow the instructions to join!

PvP Core - Please welcome @HawksHeart as our new PvP General. From this point on, we are looking forward to 1 more PvP General and skilled players to fill our PvP Core.

Roleplaying - Although we managed to recruit half a dozen RP enthusiasts to our RP Initiative, we still have RP Officer position open. If you are an avid RP player with extensive experience in RPing, please join us now! Additional slots for RP players are also available!

Social Players - currently recruiting towards our Social recruitment slots - invitation only by interview. Please contact me in-game (@Glevissig) for it.

Sign in to follow this  
Nuin

Limit's and don'ts discussion

I watched those videos I linked to yesterday, and realized I'm doing some of the things it warns against. 

I did RP last time in UO and not on official servers, but some private ones, where there wasn't much lore, or the lore was mostly made up by the players. It was clearly a rather free space to RP, and with no main game story line and no issues like "How can we all be the vestige?".

When I was thinking up Malva, I tried hard to get her to fit to that main storyline, not realising that is a no go in RP etiquette. It's a relief to be honest, that I can just pretend all quests and story lines is non-existant in RP, since it limist RP loads. 

This means how ever a lot of what I wrote about her will be changed, or tweaked into some new story line. 

In one way it should be easy enough to hold by the rules lore wise:

-don't make your character the son/daughter/wife/husbond/lover etc. of some important person in the lore

-don't change or bend lore that others agree upon

-don't take in lore from other places into this world

But what about adding on to the lore? 

This is a no go as far as I understand, but to which extend? 

I get it you can't add new gods or new famous characters etc. But I'm quite sad this kills my stories for the Herbal Guide. It even also makes the Herbal Guide completely forbidden O_O because I decide about how plants look (I really read a lot of lore to do this, and look up pictures etc.).

I think I'll do them anyways, since I like writing them, and they can be seen as some stories Malva writes to make her book more interesting. So I hope it does not offend too you all too much. 

Lore for this game is huge, how much can you expect people to research things before RP'ing? I understand some research is needed to create a good character and operate in the world, but what if it means no new people join RP? 

I know you probably are rather loose about this :) But could be fun to hear your thoughts on this matter anyways. If you experience similar issues or are concerned about it at all? 

I think we can do good things with this guild RP wise, but will these things matter to people who has done RP in many MMO's and are huge tes lore fans? 

To be honest Nuin, I am a TES fan and I don't give a s..t about that rules written by don't know who.

You are worried about Malva and plants stories?

In that case, I should probably be killed instantly by those that made the rules.

So, in summary:

- even the devs OFFICIALLY published on the forum (as reply to a fan question) that Serana SHOULD NOT APPEAR in ESO since at that time she was trapped in Dimhollow Crypt till 4th era (Skyrim)

- More than that, in (my) modded Skyrim she was the wife of Dovahkiin / Dragonborn (lore important person) and daughter of Lord Volkihar (another important lore person)

- Even worse, her purpose in ESO is to defeat Molag Bal (main story).

- my ESO character is NOT a vampire in game even if I pretend in stories that she is the Daughter of Coldharbour.

So, let's count: at least 4 capital mistakes? Should I be tortured to death by some RP Inquisition? :)

I don't care as long as I enjoy the game, I like my character and I have fun in our RP nights.

What am I supposed to do? Make another character with a different name? Neah...

I just hope you'll not kick me from the RP group. That's the only thing I care about, not some guys inventing rules to limit people's imagination.

P.S. I could use my daughter;s character for RP...oh, wait, she's playing Mei Terumi, which is the 5th Mizukage in Naruto universe, another 2 RP mistakes :)

Edited by Serana

I didn't watch those videos yet, but I bookmarked them.

I don't see us as hardcore RP players. We can set up any rules that we want. There is no need to be so scrupulous and harsh. I think most of us are somewhat satisfied with current state. Relax and enjoy. :)

But what about adding on to the lore? 

This is a no go as far as I understand, but to which extend? 

I get it you can't add new gods or new famous characters etc. But I'm quite sad this kills my stories for the Herbal Guide. It even also makes the Herbal Guide completely forbidden O_O because I decide about how plants look (I really read a lot of lore to do this, and look up pictures etc.).

I think I'll do them anyways, since I like writing them, and they can be seen as some stories Malva writes to make her book more interesting. So I hope it does not offend too you all too much. 

Lore for this game is huge, how much can you expect people to research things before RP'ing? I understand some research is needed to create a good character and operate in the world, but what if it means no new people join RP? 

I know you probably are rather loose about this :) But could be fun to hear your thoughts on this matter anyways. If you experience similar issues or are concerned about it at all? 

I think we can do good things with this guild RP wise, but will these things matter to people who has done RP in many MMO's and are huge tes lore fans? 

Admittedly I haven't gone through those videos yet, but where do they say "don't add to lore"?

The one thing that is absolutely okay to do, is to fill in gaps and holes in the pre-existing lore. In fact, this is what RP is all about; because how the hell are you supposed to come up with story-lines if you can't take artistic liberties with the universe you're in?! ;)

Your herbal guide is fine, Nuin. Personally I love it, and things like that are absolutely fine in RP. The only thing worth pointing out is just that this is your own "personal interpretation" of the lore, but that doesn't make it useless or "forbidden" in any way. When I roleplayed on the Defias Brotherhood server in WoW, the community there was extremely hardcore and anal about RP rules, but they wrote their own guides and things like this all the time. Really, don't worry about it. :)

What's more, this isn't WoW, this is ESO, and you can frankly take even more liberties here because of the Dragon Break. Theoretically you could even play around with characters based in the lore, invent new gods as you mentioned, and so on, because every eventuality we come up with is equally valid once the Dragon Break is over, but I won't go into that too much here.

Well I just meant this as a discussion :) 

I always expected it to be ok to add things and I personally don't mind breaking of lore because I'm never hardcore into the lore. I love stories and if people make up stories I like them too.

I knew already I would not offend you guys with lore-breaking things.

But I was just trying to get the feel of how these things work, as I'm new to RP in MMO's :) 

When are you adding holes in lore and when do you break it? I realise there can't really be straight lines. 

The whole future/past thing is really confusing also, since all other games was in the future. Is there even dragons? Malva thinks there is. 

I would like for there to be more RP-interested people in LoS and Flavia was advertising while we played the other night, so I think it's ok to talk about. 

And I'm NOT pointing any fingers, I don't care about names like Serana or Faramir or Hermione, aslong as they are names and not something like dude4killz. I see in the RP guild I've joined, they seem similar to us in that aspect for the most part. People like RP, but are not as Tyros put it "anal about it", and I vote we will always be loose about these things also. 

I guess I just don't fully agree on the lore-part of what not to do, or I mean it does not matter much to me aslong as lore is not broken to make a character gain something on behalf of others (does it make sense?). I might reveal myself as not being a lore-nerd ;) 

Serana it is imo perfectly ok to RP to be a vampire and NOT being one, also if you are mega hardcore (but again I might be mistaken lol). 

And I can't help myself, I add stuff, like the other day Minxed fishcake, that's now a dish Malva makes, because she can't cook O.o *sigh* 

• Upvote 1

When are you adding holes in lore and when do you break it? I realise there can't really be straight lines.

Filling in holes is basically when you expand on aspects where the lore isn't very clear. For instance, there may be an aspect of Soul Magic that you can't find anything about in the lore, so you make it up yourself. Another example would be your field guide of herbs.

Breaking lore is when you go against facts about the world that are clearly established; for instance, it is clearly stated that there are no Dragonborn in our current era, and the next one who will appear is Tiber Septim (Talos). So, creating a character who you say is a Dragonborn would break the lore - not to mention it would count as overpowering your character to a ridiculous level, but that's a whole other discussion!

Of course, it's not always that black-and-white, and I believe I mentioned in my RP guide that smaller lore tweaks are okay if the ends justify the means. Ultimately, the lore is there to serve the story; the story isn't there to serve the lore. :)

The whole future/past thing is really confusing also, since all other games was in the future. Is there even dragons? Malva thinks there is. 

As far as I know, dragons are a myth in this era. If Malva thinks dragons exist that's absolutely fine, but another character might think differently and even act derisively towards her for holding such "childish" beliefs. But that's part of RP - we thrive on conflicts, like I have also said before. :P

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.